Change of Name Deeds

Change of Name Deeds

A change of name deed is often referred to as a "change of deed poll" and is used to provide an official document which states that you have formally changed your name. There are many reasons people change their name and it is important to know when a change of name deed is required such as for the issuing of a driver's license or passport.

After marriage you can begin using your partner's surname without officially having to enter into a change of name deed. This also applies to same sex marriages. However, if the husband wants to take the female's surname instead, he will need a change of name deed. In these cases, you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate so as to provide proof of marriage.

"I would like to express my gratitude to Michelle Bird for representing me and being extremely professional, knowledgeable and very personable."

Marisa Ruppersburg

The same goes for persons wanting to change their name back to their maiden name after a Decree of Absolute has been granted following divorce proceedings, and again, you will be required to provide a copy of your birth certificate to show proof of your maiden name.

A change of name deed can also be used to change children's surnames. However, it is important to note that every person holding parental responsibility for the child must provide their consent and/or seek an order from the court granting permission to change the child's name. Often this is referred to as a specific issue order.

A change of name deed takes approximately seven days and is legally binding in the UK.
Our family team has considerable experience in drafting change of name deeds for clients seeking to formally change their name. Our fees are also fixed, so there are no hidden costs.

*Our family team offers both fixed fees and flexible pricing on pre- and post-nuptial agreements.

Make An Enquiry

If you would like to know more information please do not hesitate to contact our family team by calling us on +44 (0)20 7164 6234 or by Making An Online Enquiry and we will be happy to help you.