Published On: March 7th, 2022|Last Updated: May 26th, 2022|0 Comments|

The UK government support to Ukrainian nationals

The Home Office has announced a package of measures to support British nationals and
their families in the UK.

Family migration visa

Family members of British nationals’ can apply for a family migration visa if they are the
immediate family member of a British national who usually lives in Ukraine. The British
national family member must be one of the following:
 a spouse or civil partner
 an unmarried partner
 parent if you are under the age of 18
 child under the age of 18
 an adult relative you provide care for who lives with you due to a medical

It is free to apply.

There is temporary concession on the usual salary requirements and English language
thresholds for those coming to the UK to be with their family members. Where Ukrainians
do not meet the normal eligibility criteria, but do pass all security checks, the Home Office
will issue a 12-month permission to remain in the UK, outside of the normal Immigration

Contact UKVI before making an application.
Telephone: +44 808 164 8810 – select option 1 (0808 164 8810 if you’re in the UK – select
option 1)
Lines are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. This is a free phone number.

Ukraine Family Scheme

From 4 March 2022 extended family members can apply to the Ukraine Family Scheme
All applicants to the Ukraine Family Scheme should follow these steps:1. Complete an online application form.
2. Book an appointment at any Visa Application Centre throughout Europe.
3. Attend a Visa Application Centre appointment, for accelerated security checks.
4. Remain in the location where you have submitted your application until we
contact you.

Contact UKVI on the numbers above before making an application.

Visa application centres

The UK Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Kyiv is closed and all UK visa services in Kyiv are
Family members of British nationals who usually live in Ukraine and need a UK visa can still
apply through and provide their biometrics at the new, temporary locations in Lviv, Ukraine
and Rzeszow, Poland.
Extended family members can apply through an existing VAC in a nearby country, if it is safe
for them to travel. VACs are currently operating in:
 Hungary
 Moldova
 Poland
 Romania
Those who come to the UK under this scheme will be granted leave for an initial 12-month
period, be able to work, and have access to public services. Further updates on this scheme
will be announced in due course.

For Ukrainians in the UK

Ukrainians who are in the UK on work, study or visit visas will be able to switch onto
different visa routes, and seasonal workers will have their leave extended.
 Ukrainian nationals on an existing points-based system route can extend their
leave in the UK
 Ukrainian nationals on an existing visit visa can exceptionally switch into a points-
based system migration route without having to leave the UK
 Ukrainian nationals on an existing visitor visa can apply under the family route for
further leave without meeting the immigration status requirement, provided they
meet the criteria for leave based on exceptional circumstances
 Ukrainian nationals on an existing seasonal worker visa or in temporary HGV or
pork butcher jobs will have their leave in the UK extended to 31 December 2022
The Ukrainian nationals eligible for certain UK visas which require them to leave the UK and
apply from Ukraine can now apply from inside the UK.

Local Sponsorship Scheme for Ukraine

The government has announced plans for a new sponsorship scheme for Ukrainians without
any family ties to the UK. The scheme will allow sponsors, such as communities, private
sponsors or local authorities, to bring those forced to flee Ukraine to the UK.
There will be no limit on this scheme and as many Ukrainians as wish can come and have
matched sponsors. Those who come under this scheme will also be granted leave for an
initial period of 12 months and able to work and access public services.

Please check the government website for any updates or contact our immigration
department for further information.